I have a few Cisco devices that sit on an empty Dell shipping box. None if it is racked and they just sit on top of each other. Cabling is just a mess and it’s in the corner of our loft. Not the ideal location and with not much room to grow.
Fast forward a couple of months and now I’ve decided to move it to the garage. The equipment is too loud to be kept in our loft and is in the reach of our little one.
So I put a tweet out there asking if anyone has any recommendations on putting the lab equipment in a room that doesn’t have any Internet connections.
Here are my requirements:
- Remote – The garage is probably the best location for my lab but I definitely don’t want to be sitting in there late in the evening. The gear will need to be accessible via my internal network and possibly remotely through the Internet.
- Power – I’ll need enough power for the equipment as I plan to add two desktop servers. What would be nice is to include capabilities to remotely power on and off any equipment.
- Clean – It’s too messy right now :(. I need shorter cables, color coordination, organizers, etc.
- Ceiling racks – Part of this project includes cleaning the mess in my garage. I’m moving some of our personal items to this HyLoft Overhead Storage System.
- Work bench – Right now I’m thinking of getting this Edsal UB400 work bench.
- I’m sure I’ll have more as it comes to me.
One of my challenges would be providing Internet to my lab. I could modify the Internet connection that comes into my house and move my cable modem but I was going to leave that as my last resort. I did get one good tip:
A quick search on Amazon brings up the ZyXEL PLA407
What are you guys using for your home lab?